And so it begins!

My free inquiry project is to learn the vast and varied art of pottery, and I went had tried my hand at it this past week.

The theory behind this activity is that I will take blobs of clay and turn them, literally turn them, on a wheel into vessels. In theory it seems so simple. But in reality it is much more difficult and much more messy.

I now know this as I went for my first pottery making experience Monday evening and I am both delighted and apprehensive about how this inquiry will go. See pictures below.

I have decided to explore pottery making at Yunomi, a pottery studio downtown Victoria, that is tucked away in a fairly industrial looking building. The studio website is as follows:

http://anncoleman.ca/

I had done some research over the last few months, mostly anecdotal, regarding where in Victoria pottery making is available, especially for someone who is brand new to the art. Yunomi was a studio that came highly recommended on a number of occasions by a variety of people. It is not the only option though. I was also recommended to the Cedar Hill Recreation Centre which has a fully equipped pottery studio in it and another friend mentioned a place called Hands On Pottery. Hands on Pottery is also located in the heart of Victoria and, from what I can tell by their website, also looks highly respectable.  But I chose Yunomi and after my first experience I feel very comfortable with that decision as it is bright, welcoming, and close to my home for ease of access.

Another factor in this decision was that a friend and colleague offered to teach me the basics of pottery and she practices at Yunomi. For this I am endlessly grateful. Thanks Katrina! This was both a fun and slightly daunting prospect as I do often experience crippling self doubt which I find exacerbated by the presence of those who’s opinion I value. Alas, it was fine.

Having gone into the studio and tried my hand at throwing clay on a wheel, my queries have grown.

I wonder about proper technique and what does that entail? What are the properties of the different types of clay? Where does this clay come from? When was pottery first invented? and by whom?

On a more How much of pottery is art and how much is science? in pottery and in life. What is the perfect ratio of clay to water on the wheel? What is the perfect wheel speed to optimise efficiency? perfection? Is perfection something to strive for? What are the possibilities and applications of this art? In my life? In the classroom? In general?

This just being after having tried my hand at this once, I am sure to have many many more questions. and this hasn’t even touched the process of firing and glazing.

I believe I will find in pottery a beautiful intersection of art, science, society, and personal peace and growth.

I am so excited to be a beginner in this world of potting. To be completely at a loss of how to achieve what I want to achieve but to have the desire burn brightly inside to make it happen.

Photos: